Your immune system is your body’s natural defence mechanism against disease and germs - recognising the cells that make up your body and attacking unfamiliar substances like bacteria and viruses.
Your body is exposed to millions of germs on a daily basis, and it’s your immune system’s job to fight them and stop you from getting sick.
When the germs do make it past the body’s defences and you get sick, your immune system jumps in and works to get rid of it. It also remembers how to fight the infection if the same germ comes again.
Diet, exercise, healthy lifestyle habits and natural therapies can all help support your immune system to allow it to do its best work
Time to complete : 3 weeks
- May help to reduce number of colds, flus and other illnesses
- May help lessen the severity of symptoms from illnesses
- May reduce downtime when you catch a cold or flu
3 step action plan
1) Eat for your immunity - Eating a well-balanced diet is key to supporting your immune system. There are also a range of foods that offer additional benefit to building and maintaining a strong immune system, and can help fight off colds and flus if they do strike.
2) Get into healthy habits - Stress has been found to compromise the immune system. Conversely, adequate sleep, regular relaxation and adequate physical activity has been shown to boost it. Healthier hygiene habits also give the immune system less work to do, keeping it fit.
3) Natural therapies - Supplements can help boost your immune system – they can be used regularly and may help in the management of colds to help reduce the severity and duration should you catch a cold or flu.